Could you recycle your holiday tree in your backyard for wildlife? This will create shelter for various birds and small mammals from both the winter weather and predators. Just make sure that all the trimmings are removed (hooks, wire, garland, etc.).
Redecorate the tree for the animals!
- Trees can be placed on their sides or upright. If you have bird feeders, placing the tree nearby will offer your feeder visitors a safe place to perch nearby a food source.
- Get the family together and roll pinecones in peanut butter and then birdseed – then hang these new “ornaments” on the tree.
- String popcorn, cheerios, raisins and/or berries to make a handsome and animal edible garland.
- Tie peanuts in the shell (unsalted) to some branches or try hanging and hiding other nuts in the tree.
- Sprinkle birdseed, feed, corn, and peanuts on the ground around the tree.
- Sit back and watch the free show!